Featured artist: Shannon Crees

The construction process

Featured artist: Shannon Crees
You are here:


The construction process

The construction process

In NSW, there are two available options to receive consent for alterations, demolition, development and use of land or buildings, one being a Development Application (Issued by Council) and the second a Complying Development Certificate (Issued by Council and/or a privately Accredited Certifier)

If your Development Application (DA) has been approved by Council and you have received your development consent, you are required to apply for and receive a Construction Certificate before works or the use can commence. The consent will state whether a Construction Certificate is required. If you have received your consent through a DA, please follow steps 1 to 8

If you have received your consent through a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) - being a faster approval process, while ensuring stringent BCA, planning and environmental requirements are met through a set of prescribed approval conditions - a Construction Certificate is not required. If you have received your consent through a CDC, please follow steps 3 to 8.

1. A Construction Certificate is required

A Construction Certificate can be issued by Council or a Private Accredited Certifier. Visit the Construction Certificates page for more information about Construction Certificates and how to apply.

2. After receiving your Construction Certificate

Once you have your development consent and a construction certificate and before you can start any work on the site, the owner, lessee or owners agent must appoint a Principal Certifying Authority to oversee the work.

3. When can I start building work?

Once a construction certificate has been issued and once a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) has been appointed, you then may start building work.

4. How do I appoint Council as a PCA?

When Council issues a Development Consent a 'PCA Agreement' application form will also be provided with the documentation. This agreement specifies what inspections are required, what additional details are required to be lodged prior to commencement of works and what certificates will need to be submitted prior to occupation.

What are the benefits of using Council as the Principal Certifying Authority?

  • Marrickville Council Building Surveyors are professionally accredited certifiers by the NSW Building Professionals Board
  • Our Building Surveyors are truly independent.
  • Our Building Surveyors are experts in the certification process
  • Our Building Surveyors have extensive knowledge of the local area.
  • Our Building Surveyors have convenient access to planning and engineering staff.
  • Our Building Surveyors have quick and easy access to the development application file, historical files and all Council data. The development application file is taken on inspections to enable Council building surveyors to make fully informed decisions.
  • Our offices are close and convenient. This also means that we are a short distance from your building site.
  • We do not provide certification services outside the Marrickville Council Local Government Area (LGA) area which allows Council staff to concentrate on the needs of the local area.
  • Our fees contain no hidden costs.

5. Do I need to contact Council before I start work?

Once you have appointed your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), the Notice of Commencement of Building Work and Appointment of a Principal Certifying Authority form must be completed and returned to Council prior to work commencing. This form can be found on this page under the 'Building-related applications' heading.

6. Critical Stage Inspections

Your development may require inspections during the construction phase which will take place at the critical stages of the development. This is to ensure that the construction works have been undertaken in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant standards. Your list of inspections may include any or all of the following:

After excavation for and prior to the placement of any footing – Class 1 and 10

  • All steel re-inforcement.

Prior to pouring any in-situ reinforced concrete building element – Class 1 and 10

  • All steel re-inforcement.

Prior to covering of any framework for any floor, wall, roof or other building element – Class 1 and 10

  • Wall, floor and roof framing.

Prior to covering waterproofing in any wet areas – Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 10

  • Waterproofing – 10% for Class 2, 3 and 4;  100% for Class 1 and 10.

Prior to covering any stormwater drainage connections – Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

  • Stormwater connections.

After the building work has been completed and prior to any Occupation Certificate being issued in relation to the building – Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

  • Final inspection. An Occupation Certificate will not be issued unless Council (PCA) is satisfied that the BCA and all the conditions of the Development Consent have been complied with and achieved.

Additional inspections as required by conditions of the consent

  • Inspections required by conditions of the consent due to the type of development, location, site restrictions, access difficulties, site characteristics, height restrictions etc.

7. Booking Critical Stage Inspections

Call Council's Customer Service Centre on (02) 9335 2222 (24 hour telephone enquiry service).

Bookings can be made up to 3.00pm the day before you want the inspection.

To book your inspection, you will need to provide the following information to the Customer Service Officer:

  • type of inspection (refer to Consent or PCA Agreement for the inspections required)
  • address of where the inspection will take place
  • contact name and telephone number of the relevant person
  • application reference number:
    • construction certificate number
    • development application number
    • complying development certificate number

8. How to obtain an Occupation Certification

An Occupation Certificate verifies that the Principal Certifying Authority is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy or use in terms of the requirements of the Building Code of Australia

To apply for an Occupation Certificate please complete and submit the Occupation Certificate application form (available under 'Building-related applications' on this page) to Council requesting a final inspection.

An occupation certificate can only be issued by the PCA appointed for the particular building project. Therefore, if Council has not been appointed as the PCA, it will be necessary to discuss this issue with the PCA appointed for that project.

Visit the Occupation Certificates page for more information.