Inner West Council provides a fortnightly collection service for recyclable waste in the former Marrickville Council area.
- Houses are provided with a 240 litre yellow-lidded bin collected fortnightly.
- Units are provided with shared (or communal) 240 litre bins collected fortnightly.
Each Marrickville resident recycles over 100 kg of materials every year. This represents greenhouse emission savings of approximately 12 cars permanently removed from the roads.
What goes in my recycling bin?
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminium and steel cans
- Empty aerosol cans
- Newspaper, cardboard and paper
- Milk and juice cartons
- Plastic bottles and containers
- All plastic takeaway containers (no food scraps)
- Pizza boxes (no food scraps)
- Aluminium foil trays (no food scraps)
- Aluminium foil (scrunched up into a fist size ball)
- Pots and pans (no other household items)
- Ensure items have no leftover foods inside before placing them in the recycling bin
- Always put your items loose in the recycling bin
- Never put plastic bags – including biodegradable ones – in the recycling bin, as they jam the machinery used to sort through the recycling materials
- Flatten cardboard boxes
- Plastics that can be scrunched and cannot hold their shape don't go in the recycling bin. For soft plastics recycling visit http://redcycle.net.au.
What cannot go in my recycling bin?
Any of the above items in your recycling bin can cause contamination to a whole truckload of recycling that will end up in landfills.
If you find a yellow sticker on your recycled bin that says 'Rejected' it means that a contaminant item was found with the recyclable materials. Please remove the contaminant then call Customer Service on 9335 2222 to arrange for Council staff to return to empty the bin.
Important collection information
- Ensure that bins are out the night before and are returned to your property within 24 hours of collection.
- Bins left on the road or footpath can go missing during collection day and pose a risk for pedestrians and disrupt traffic. Be a good neighbour and bring your bins in.
- The maximum weight allowance for a 140 litre bin (the smaller type) is 50kg. The maximum weight for a 240 litre bin is 70kg.
- Do not overfill your bin, as this results in litter being blown out. Make sure that the bin lid can be shut. Overflowing bins will not be collected.
- Visit this page to find more information on obtaining an extra recycling bin.
Reporting a lost or stolen bin?
Visit this page for details.
Don't know your collection day?
Visit the collection days and zones page to download a collection calendar.
The recycling process
After your recycling bin has been emptied, our drivers take the recyclables to the Visy Material Recovery Facility, where they are sorted and baled into groups: paper, cardboard, plastics, glass, steel and aluminium.
To find out more about the recycling process, click here.