Featured artist: Shannon Crees

Contact an arborist

Featured artist: Shannon Crees
You are here:


Contact an arborist

Council does not undertake the pruning or removal of trees on private property. This work is best undertaken by a qualified arborist. It is important to hire appropriately qualified people to carry out tree works.

Before employing an Arborist, check that they are insured and carry Australian Qualifying Framework (AQF) certification.

Working Arborist (Trade)

Working or practising Arborists are trade qualified to care for trees, and are generally engaged to provide pruning and/or removal works.

Once you have obtained permission to undertake tree works, look for an Arborist who has AQF Level 3 qualification or equivalent in Horticulture (Arboriculture). This ensures that the work is done in accordance with the Australian Standards.

An Arborist who has a minimum AQF Level 4 qualification should be engaged to assess root pruning requirements.

For more details on working arborists please contact the following associations:

Tree Contractors Association Australia

Safe Work NSW

Consulting Arborists (Consultant)

Consulting Arborists have the training and experience to provide expert assessments on the health and condition of trees.

If you need specialist advice concerning your tree/s or require an Arborist Report, as per Council’s conditions, you will need to engage a Consulting Arborist with AQF Level 5 or equivalent in Horticulture (Arboriculture).  Council's minimum requirements for the different types of arborist reports are provided in Appendix 1 of Marrickville Development Control Plan, Section 2.20: Tree Management.

For more details on consulting arborists please contact the following associations:

Institute of Australian Consulting Arboriculturalists

Arboriculture Australia